SAHA is looking for an intern to support the Organisation's administrative functions. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of working within an NGO, and promoting social and policy change in the area of human rights, access to information and the preservation of South Africa’s history and heritage.
SAHA invites qualifying graduates with a keen interest in advocacy and human rights in South Africa to apply for an internship opportunity within SAHA’s Support Services.
The successful applicant will have the benefit of:
- Gaining work experience within civil society;
- Performing supervised office administration-related tasks;
- Developing attention to detail and organisational skills;
- Developing writing, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Developing MS Office proficiency;
- Supporting the work of SAHA’s Struggles for Justice Programme, Freedom of Information Programme (FOIP) and Right to Truth Project SAHA; and
- A monthly stipend.
Summary of key responsibilities
General office assistance
- Provide general administrative support in the areas of filing, document processing, finance and procurement;
- Receive visitors and attend to telephone and email enquiries in a friendly and professional way to their needs;
- Answer telephone calls whenever possible and respond to callers’ requests with a friendly tone of voice; and
- Collect and process incoming and outgoing mail.
- Capture workshop and events registrations and update contact information;
- Prepare and maintain attendance records for workshops;
- Reminder calls/emails to workshop participants; and
- Assist in planning processes.
In order to be eligible, you must:
- Be a South African citizen;
- Be recently graduated with no prior full-time work experience;
- Be under 30 years of age;
- Hold qualifications and career aspirations that match the requirements of the support services internship programme;
- Be able to commit to the internship for 6 months;
- Have accountancy as a subject during the course of high school and/or tertiary education; and
- Available to work on some Saturdays and after hours when there are workshops or events.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English and at least one other official South African language.
All SAHA internships are based at the SAHA offices at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg. The intern will be expected to work on a full-time basis for at least 6 months (up to a maximum of 12 months) and will receive a modest monthly stipend for the duration of the internship. Support services interns will report to the Administration and Information Officer.
To learn more about what previous interns (and volunteers) have said about their time at SAHA, please visit: http://www.saha.org.za/about_saha/volunteers_interns_at_saha.htm
To apply, please submit the following:
- A 1-page professionally written cover letter introducing yourself and motivating why you should be considered for the internship
- A resume of no more than 2 pages (with 3 contactable references)
Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
The subject line of your email must include the following: Support Services Internship Application 2015/10 – [Your Name].
The closing date for applications is Monday the 9th of November 2015 at 5pm.
Only complete applications submitted through the above email address as directed will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Should you not hear from us by the 20th of November 2015, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg in week of 23 – 27 November 2015.
Download the vacancy advertisement in PDF.