29 May 2012
VACANCY: SAHA office manager
SAHA is looking for an experienced office manager who is politically aware, creative, professional and adaptable in order to help SAHA achieve its goals. This person should be able to work as part of a team and be committed to the development and promotion of human rights in South Africa. The office manager is central to the effective functioning of the organisation and will report directly to the SAHA director.
We will be giving preference to candidates from previously disadvantaged groups.
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Finance and accounting - The office manager will coordinate the financial administration of SAHA through processing and acknowledging incoming and outgoing funds, the payment of salaries, tax, and other bills through SAHA's online banking payments, maintaining donor, asset and insurance registers, and assisting with budget preparation and reconciliation;
- Reception - The office manager is required to perform reception functions, including fielding incoming telephone calls, welcoming visitors, responding to general email enquiries, and managing incoming and outgoing post and deliveries, professionally and systematically;
- Record keeping - The office manager is expected to maintain systems for organisational record keeping effectively, filing all records in a systematic manner (electronic and hard copy) in line with SAHA filing systems, and backing up computer files as required;
- Communications - The office manager will be required to contribute to the maintenance of certain areas of the SAHA website, proactively maintain and expand SAHA's contact database, and participate in the compilation and distribution of the SAHA e-newsletters;
- Meetings and logistics - The office manager is responsible for taking minutes of meetings as required, managing the office diary, managing office travel and accommodation arrangements, and coordinating the organization of SAHA events;
- Administrative support - The office manager is further required to prepare reports and correspondence (as directed by SAHA director), manage the use of office equipment and stationery; manage distribution of SAHA's publications and products.
- Relevant higher education qualification and at least three years' experience in administration;
- Experience in managing financial and human resources records in line with relevant legislation and organisational policies and procedures;
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to draft business documents and correspondence in English with confidence and precision;
- Strong, demonstrable IT skills, including advanced use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, preferably with experience working with a web content management system;
- Experience in maintaining and implementing organisational filing systems, both in the physical and the digital environment, with a meticulous eye for detail;
- Organisational and time-keeping skills and the ability to prioritise work effectively;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to work independently, without close supervision;
- Demonstrable knowledge of human rights issues in South Africa.
Additional attributes desired (not required)
- Experience within the NGO sector;
- In addition to English, spoken and written fluency in one of South Africa's other official languages;
- Valid driver's licence.
Salary: A competitive remuneration proportionate to experience will be offered.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum two pages), contact details for at least two professional referees, and motivation letter with salary expectations (maximum two page) to email@example.com.
Interviews will take place on Thursday 7 June 2012.