FREEDOM OF INFORMATION PROGRAMME INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY AT SAHA
The South African History Archive (SAHA) is looking for recent South African graduates with a keen interest in activism and struggles for justice and accountability in South Africa to apply for an internship opportunity at SAHA
The South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent human rights archive dedicated to documenting, supporting and promoting greater awareness of past and contemporary struggles for justice through archival practices and outreach, and the utilisation of access to information laws.
To learn more about SAHA, visit http://www.saha.org.za
ABOUT SAHA'S INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
All SAHA internships are based at the SAHA offices at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg. Interns are expected to work on a full-time basis for at least 6 months (up to a maximum of 12 months) and will receive a modest monthly stipend for the duration of the internship.
To learn more about what previous interns (and volunteers) have said about their time at SAHA, please visit: http://www.saha.org.za/about_saha/volunteers_interns_at_saha.htm
In order to be eligible for the FOIP SAHA internship, an applicant must:
- Hold a degree in law, politics, journalism or a related qualification that related to the work of FOIP;
- Have a demonstrable interest in human rights advocacy and constitutional issues and an interest in building a career in civil society in South Africa;
- Be a South African citizen under 30 years of age;
- Be recently graduated with no prior full-time work experience - preference will be given to applicants who have not previously benefitted from an internship opportunity within a South African NGO;
- Be able to commit to the internship for 6 months;
- Be available to work on some Saturdays and after hours when there are workshops or events;
- Be able to plan, prioritize work, meet deadlines, and work independently;
- Be systematic and thorough in their approach to work, with excellent attention to detail;
- Be competent with Microsoft Office software.
DUTIES OF FREEDOM OF INFORMATION PROGRAMME (FOIP) INTERN
FOIP interns will support the work of the FOIP team through:
- Submitting and tracking PAIA requests made of public and private bodies under PAIA
- Assisting in the delivery of SAHA's PAIA training to NGOs, CBOs and local government
- Providing administrative support, including at stakeholder meetings
- Conducting research, as directed, into national and regional use of access to information
HOW TO APPLY FOR FOIP INTERNSHIP
To apply to be a FOIP intern, please prepare a one-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following:
1. What is the purpose of Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA)?
- What were the motivating factors behind the development of PAIA?
- Provide an example of how you think PAIA could be used to support struggles for justice in South Africa.
To apply, applicants must submit this letter of motivation, along with a CV (no longer than 2 pages) and the contact details of at least two referees.
· Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com. The subject line of your email must include: FOIP Internship [your full name].
· Only complete applications submitted through the above email address as directed will be considered.
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· The closing date for applications is 23 March 2018 at 5pm.
· Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg between 5 - 6 April 2018.