"...the book is allowed to speak plainly from an anti-apartheid, pre-democratic standpoint. The overall effect is not dated, interestingly, and is fresh but didactic: as history textbook, it could be really valuable now."
Robyn Sassen, review of Images of Defiance in Artthrob, July 2005
The aim of this project is to produce and disseminate a commemorative edition of Images of Defiance, the critically acclaimed 1991 publication of resistance posters of the 1980s in South Africa (and accompanying physical and virtual exhibitions) and to develop, pilot and disseminate to schools and libraries (through a nation-wide workshop programme) an educators' guide to visual literacy to accompany this edition, as well as sets of posters for classroom use.
- To produce a commemorative edition of Images of Defiance' (hard cover with fabric cover and slip case) for launch in late 2016, in conjunction with the 25th anniversary since its first publication;
- To conduct research and document collection in order to add a new chapter on transitional and post-1994 posters to this new edition (and to the existing poster collection at SAHA);
- To produce an associated online virtual exhibition of the posters and related archival materials freely available for access through the internet for educational, heritage and non-profit purposes;
- To develop and pilot an educators' guide and workshop programme to accompany Images of Defiance for use in secondary schools, along with sets of posters for display in classrooms, in order to support history, civics and fine art education primarily, but also to enabling the mainstreaming of visual literacy within schools;
- To run one-day workshops in all provinces to introduce educators to the publications and to disseminate copies to schools and libraries across the country.